Monday 29 December 2014

SooLantra has been approved by the FDA.

Reading that the FDA has approved an Ivermectin based cream to treat rosacea was like getting a Christmas gift from Galderma!

From what I have read, Ivermectin (the active ingredient in Soolantra Cream), has been reported to have both anti-inflammatory and antiparasitic activity.  Soolantra® (ivermectin) Cream 1% is found to be well tolerated with powerful results seen as early as two weeks with continuous improvement in patients with inflammatory lesions of rosacea.

Here is the Press Release from Galderma USA.

I can't imagine Soolantra will be available in Australia for some time but I had read in an initial report that the  new cream contists of ivermectin combined with Cetaphil cream (another Galderma product).  Having both a bottle of injectable (livestock) Ivomec (10mg/ml) and Cetaphil cream on hand, I mixed up a small batch to see what would happen.

I added 2 squirts of Cetaphil cream and 16 drops of Ivomec to a small stainless steel bowl and mixed them with a small metal spatula.  The two ingredients combined easily with no distinct separation.  I applied the mixture to my face, neck and decolletage.

Observations after 24 hours (3 applications):

  • Face feels calm - not inflamed.
  • Itching has diminished on face, neck and decolletage but seems more pronounced in my scalp.
  • Small red dots have appeared across cheeks.  Particularly on the right cheek which is the side I sleep on.

My new routine will be as follows:
Twice daily TTO foaming face wash followed by hydrogen peroxide (3%) washed over any newly formed pustules (rinse with water after a few minutes) and then application of the home brew mixture of Cetaphil and Ivomec.

4 comments:

  1. HI, Thanks about your test! I live is Spain and here it is imposible to get it.
    How is your Rosacea now with this Cetaphil and Ivomec mixture? BR, Anneli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anneli, I haven't posted for a while but will do an update tomorrow in the daylight so I can take good photos. My dermatologist is up to date regarding Soolantra but was not supportive about my use of Ivomec but put me on to a Permethrin cream for scabies called Lyclear. I've had good results so far but occasionally I have felt the need to use the Ivomec when I can feel excessive mite activity. Cheers, Kate

      Delete
  2. I took part in a Galderma Ivermectin trial in 2007 and it was the last time I had bad rosacea until now. Just getting an outbreak and can't wait to get the new SOOLANTRA here in Australia. It worked like a miracle cure for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the great comment about your experience with SooLantra! I am glad it worked so well. I contacted Galderma here in Australia and they said it would be years before it was available (approved) here. Of course, that was not what I wanted to hear! I am getting great results with Quellada but would jump at the chance to try SooLantra.

      Delete

Want to chat? Share your progress or ask a question here but spam will not be tolerated.